Starting June 1 record each day that you read. After you complete 20 days of reading (they do not need to be consecutive) tackle an adventure. Once your adventure is complete, stop by the library to pick-up your reward and get your entry into the grand prize raffle!
Don’t stop there! Keep reading and after you complete 40 days of reading and another adventure, stop by the library to pick-up your completion reward and receive 2 more entries for the grand prize raffle!
The Summer Library Challenge is open to all ages!
- For kids up to Kindergarten age we recommend 5-10 minutes per day
- For kids in grades 1-6 we recommend 20 minutes per day
- For adults, teens and kids in grades 7+ we recommend 30 minutes per day
- Any amount of reading counts!
A bonus of 20 extra reading days will earn you up to 4 more grand prize raffle entries and each additional adventure completed earns 1 extra entry per adventure to the grand prize raffle (up to 28 more entries!). Bonus entries are logged on Beanstack only.
Choose two adventures to complete during the Summer Library Challenge after 20 days and 40 days. After you've finished the Challenge, you can earn one extra entry per bonus adventure to the grand prize raffle (up to 28 more entries!).
Take a book to the beach.
- Check out a movie based on a book you’ve read.
- Explore the Metroparks® trails (however you’re able).
- Visit a park.
- Visit the StoryWalk at Westlake Rec Center.
- Attend an in-person library program.
- Read a genre you don’t usually read (i.e., comics or nonfiction).
- Go for a bike ride.
- Read a book and write a haiku about it.
- Find a celebrity with your birthday and watch a movie or TV show starring them.
- Read a book with a red cover.
- Check out a book on a craft that interests you.
- Read a book with an animal on the cover.
- Make a recipe from a cookbook.
- Use ancestry databases to find out your great-great-great grandfather’s name.
- Read a book you own but haven’t read.
- Take a course on LinkedIn Learning about something that interests you.
- Watch a documentary on Kanopy.
- Listen to an audiobook with the Libby app.
- Do a take-home craft program.
- Come see a “Movie Under the Stars” at WPPL.
- Perform a Random Act of Kindness.
- Read a graphic novel about a person without superpowers.
- Use one of the Maker Stations.
- Using the city directories, find the phone number of someone who lived here in the 1950s (it will start with letters!).
- Check out material on learning, or in, a world language.
- Make a comment on a WPPL social media video.
- Share a WPPL blog post.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Take a picture of a wild animal.
Half-way prizes are available beginning June 20. Final prizes are available beginning July 10.
All prizes are subject to availability while supplies last.
Teens in grades 7-12 who complete 40 days of reading will be invited to the Teen Lock-In on August 5 from 7-9 pm.
Grand Prize Raffle Entries must be entered by 9pm on August 1. Grand prize raffles will be drawn on August 2 and winners will be notified by library staff. All rewards must be picked-up no later than August 15.